More commonly known as solar power systems, photovoltaic systems convert sunlight directly into electricity. Photovoltaic got its name from the process of turning light or photons into electricity or voltage and is called the PV effect.
Some Facts About PV
- A single photovoltaic device is called a cell. A single cell typically produces 1 to 2 watts of power.
- Cells are connected together to form panels and generate greater power.
- Solar panels can be used individually or can be connected to from arrays.
- A complete photovoltaic system is composed of one or more arrays that are connected to the electrical grid.
- In the USA, the largest PV system is found in California and produces 579 megawatts of electricity that is distributed to consumers.
- A solar farm in Cadiz in the Philippines is believed to be the largest in Southeast Asia, generating 135 megawatts.
How do PV Systems Work?
A photovoltaic or solar cell is a sandwich of silicon materials which are conductors. It generates electricity by using sunlight to make electrons jump between the two silicon. Simply put:
- When sunlight shines on the cell, it is absorbed by the upper surface.
- The light particles then carry their energy down through the cell.
- The energy of the photons (light particles) is transferred to electrons in the lower surface of the cell.
- The electrons use the energy to jump out of the cell into the circuit as electricity.
PV Systems in the Philippines
The photovoltaic market in the Philippines may still be small but solar power companies, like SOLREV Energy, are making inroads all over the country. The future of solar energy here is bright, especially since this island nation is always sun-drenched and electricity costs are expensive.
The success of photovoltaic systems comes from a combination of government efforts and power companies’ support. It is very nice to see the government incorporating solar power in government infrastructures. The solar powered streetlights making the streets of metro cities bright, for example.
The advantages of using this renewable and sustainable energy source are getting recognized by everyone. Businesses have started using solar power in their factories and establishments. Filipino homes are also joining the increasing population using photovoltaic systems.
Using energy from the sun can not only decrease your expenses in the long run but can also benefit the environment. SOLREV Energy, a provider of solar panels and equipment, can give you more information on this and educate you even more.
The Philippines receives so much more solar energy than all other energy sources and this could have supplied a huge percentage of our country’s electricity needs if only we have the knowledge and resources for solar power electricity.With only two seasons in the Philippines, the wet and dry seasons, we are in a geographically favorable area for solar energy use. We have constant sunlight almost every day even if it gets rainy. And if the sun’s energy is used well, we could save a great deal on our electricity bills and also help our environment.
Solar Power for Homes
A number of homes in the Philippines have already started going solar in recent years. Because of its reputation as a clean and renewable energy source, many have grown interested in solar power for home electricity. However, a lot of people still lack information about this sustainable energy source.
Here are some benefits of having a solar powered home to help you decide on using it.
- It helps you save money. Electricity costs from power companies make up a huge percentage of your monthly bill. By using solar energy, it can cut your electric bill by half or more depending on the size of your solar power system.
- It provides you with a reliable energy source. Using the sun’s energy is quite reliable since the sun is a constant element in our lives. We know when it will rise and set. Therefore, we know how to use it to our advantage.
- It protects you from increasing electricity costs. The sun is a readily available source of energy and it is very sustainable. With its use on your home, you will not or just be limitedly affected by the unpredictable rise of electricity rates for at least 15 years.
- You help others because installation of solar panels creates jobs. The solar power industry is a powerhouse for job seekers.
- It helps the environment by decreasing carbon output. It creates electricity without the pollution that causes global warming, and it is clearly one effective way of stopping this global crisis.
These are just simple explanations of what we gain by using solar energy. Solar energy companies, such as SOLREV Energy, will be ready to assist you and give you more information should you ask for it.
is the Western Pacific’s fastest growing supplier of solar panels. They are committed to educating the public about the sun’s energy and how it can affect lives. Visit them for more information on this.